Friday, October 7, 2011

September Happenings

Well since my last blog post was September 1st let me just give an over view of the past month. My computer crashed pretty early on in the month so I attribute that to not writing and also I am just a busy girl getting used to the culture here.


 Eid
Jade and I in our Saris

                Eid is breaking the Ramadan fast with HUGE feasts! It's kind of like Thanksgiving, but if you are a lucky person you might be invited to several homes for the feast. Some of my American friends and I were invited to one of our national friends house to experience this occassion. It was really a good time we got to wear our sari's and get all dolled up in the first time in 3 months and just enjoy time with our friend and getting a better idea of her world view.


I observed a school for a future teacher training in a little village. It is so amazing to me how different their schooling experience is from my but yet how affective it seems to be.

My new favorite place to hang out is the Glare Beauty Salon. The two ladies that work there have become my best friends. One's name is Mala. She has two adorable children, and is very motherly toward me. I love it. The other one is an intern, her name is Nirmali. She is 21, she is a widow. Her husband died two years ago 3 months into their marriage of a sudden heart attack. I spend countless hours in there just watching them do their stuff and engaging in conversation. I practice my language there; they teach me the local language and I teach them English. I just really love them. 

My friend Maddy had a birthday. We went to KFC and took a boat ride on the Brahmaputra to celebrate. It was great.



 



 I attended a parent’s day program with Mala to watch her kids. It was amazing. There were so many kids! Each grade performed a traditional dance and were all wearing costumes. It was one of those moments I wished I had someone with me to share the awe of the experience.


 



 
I witnessed the Iron God Puja. On this day Hindu's worship everything that is made of metal; from a screwdriver to a bus. All the machinery that is used daily is decorated all fancy and worshiped.

I found out I have lice

I survived my first earthquake!


Wise Astrologer Man

I visited my first Ganak village. (Ganak people are the people that Jade and are focusing on for our ethnography.) It was so interesting. Ganaks are astrologers that prepare horoscopes for Hindu people and they have been calculating stars and their position for thousands of years. It's fascinating.


I got my ear pierced with one of my friends that I made during a youth service. We ended up getting matching piercings and she was just so happy about it, she couldn't quit smiling.

Had tea in a department store and made a new friend

Rode next to the bus driver, excellent view.


View from the front of the bus

 



The neighborhood I live in is called Hati Gown which literally translates to elephant village.

My friends at the grocery store had me cussing people out in the local language....oops.

Crossing the road here is like playing frogger with your body. Luckily I haven't lost yet, but it is quite the adrenaline rush.

Simple Joys
Teaching Home School P.E. to our supervisors two girls

Walking down the road in my neighborhood and being able to stop and talk with people that live and work there (in their language) and just get to know them


Some of my favorite people to stop to chat with in the neighborhood

 I love the people at the NGO office. If I love the people at the next job I have half as much I will be a very happy person.


Just sitting in the Glare Beauty Parlor being with my friends

No comments:

Post a Comment